Manager Ned Yost said Thursday that Hochevar, who has thrown 90 more innings than he did last year, will be shut down for the rest of the year.
"The organization feels he's accomplished everything we want him to accomplish this year," Yost said before the Royals' 7-2 win over the White Sox. "We don't want to take him past that point. We feel like he's poised and healthy."
Hochevar, who turned 28 Thursday and was the first pick in the 2006 draft, finishes with an 11-11 record and 4.68 ERA in a career-high 198 innings and 31 starts. Hochevar beat the Twins on Wednesday, giving up two runs on five hits over six innings while battling the flu.
"That's it," Yost said. "We've seen it. He's had a great second half. We feel like he's turned the corner. I'm real excited to see what he can accomplish next year."
"It's more (Hochevar's) protection and his health than looking at guys at Triple-A," Yost said. "That's the main focus of our decision."
Yost he had needs to fill three dates -- Sept. 20, Sept. 25 and Sept. 27 -- in the rotation.